What is an Event Manager
Event management is the application of project management to the creation and development of small and/or large-scale personal or corporate events such as festivals, conferences, ceremonies, weddings, formal parties, concerts, or conventions. It involves studying the brand, identifying its target audience, devising the event concept, and coordinating the technical aspects before actually launching the event.
The events industry now includes events of all sizes from the Olympics down to business breakfast meetings. Many industries, celebrities, charitable organizations, and interest groups hold events in order to market their label, build business relationships, raise money, or celebrate achievement.
The process of planning and coordinating the event is usually referred to as event planning and which can include budgeting, scheduling, site selection, acquiring necessary permits, coordinating transportation and parking, arranging for speakers or entertainers, arranging decor, event security, catering, coordinating with third party vendors, and emergency plans. Each event is different in its nature so process of planning & execution of each event differs on basis of type of event.
The event manager is the person who plans and executes the event, taking responsibility for the creative, technical, and logistical elements. This includes overall event design, brand building, marketing and communication strategy, audio-visual production, script writing, logistics, budgeting, negotiation, and client service.
How to Become an Event Manager
Here are the keys stepwise to unlock the path to how to become an event manager:
STEP 1: Look for your passion!
The first and the very mandatory step is to look after your passion. Knowing yourself and your passion for skills is the key on how to become an event manager. In addition to this, it backstops to sustain the market for a longer perspective.
Ask these five questions to yourself to know yourself:
1. What I’m passionate about?
2. Am I going to give up considering the exponential increase in competition?
3. This is what I’m passionate about doing for the rest of my life?
4. Will I dedicate myself to work even if I’m getting tired?
5. Honestly keeping up the work up to date?
STEP 2: Select a course
STEP 3: Take up a Bachelors’ degree/ diploma or certificate course in Event Management
Go through the various designing colleges and their requirements for event management courses. Look for the opportunities provided by the college which will be going to help you in the future.
STEP 4: Learn, Practice, and master the skills required in this field
The last and the mandatory part of the education so acquired from the university is to practice and master the skills. Create a market presence through your portfolio and make connections in the event management industry.
STEP 5: CONSISTENCY AND PERSEVERANCE
The efforts you have put in all throughout the years require patience and time. Consistency and perseverance are the skills to grow over a very long period of time.
To know how to become an event manager it is important to gain the skill and the meaning of being an event manager, role, and career opportunities.
Who is an event manager?
Event managers are those who organize functions such as –
• social events
• stage shows
• seminars, weddings
• theme parties
• product launch parties
• corporate seminars
Most importantly they are responsible for planning, creating concepts, organizing, and budgeting.
Responsibilities of an Event Manager
The career path of an event manager is a good career choice as it involves less investment. On the other hand, it provides independence and flexibility. If you possess good organizing ability and have passion then you can make a successful career out of it.
How to become Event Manager after 12th
There are multiple career paths a candidate can take to become an event manager. As per career interest and educational qualifications, candidates can go for-
• Diploma courses
• Degree courses
• Certificate courses
Candidates must have passed 10+2 with any of the streams for pursuing event management courses. For a master’s degree in this field, candidates must have valid CAT, MAT scores. The undergraduate courses are of three years while postgraduate courses of two years.
The courses eligibility for diploma, degree, and certificate courses are as follows:
Here the courses and the eligibility criteria for diploma courses:
• The diploma course in event management is for one year.
• Candidates who have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 50% are eligible for this course.
• Graduates of any stream can apply for this course and eventually make a career in event management.
• Candidates can also apply for Post Graduate diploma courses right after graduation.
• Admission to PGDM and PGPM programs for event management is taken through the national level entrance exams such as CAT, MAT.
Courses offered for a diploma course in event management:
Relations or event management
Advanced Diploma in Event Management
Advertising and Event Management
Event Management and Activation
Public Relations and Event Management
Advertising, Media, and Event Management
Top institutes offering diploma in event management are
• National institute of event management, Mumbai located in Vile Parle West
• IGNOU Indira Gandhi National Open University
• Mumbai University situated in Mumbai
- Pacific University located in Udaipur
Top Universities offering Event Management courses
• Impact institute located in New Delhi
• Apeejay institute, located in New Delhi
Syllabus and course description of the diploma course
Diploma courses are generally for one year. Candidates need to study these topics during the whole course:
• Event Marketing
• Event Advertising
• Event production (Including catering)
• Event Planning
• Event Accounting
• Communication Skills
• Special Event Topics
• Public relations
• IT for Event Management
• Cross-cultural management
• Event Risk Management
• Dissertation |
• Dissertation ||
• Event marketing
Graduate Degree Courses
• Candidates who have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 50% are eligible for this course.
• Admission to these colleges is done on the basis of class 12th results. Although some universities conduct their own entrance exams as a part of the selection process.
• BBA and BA courses are offered by the universities.
It is important to the career scope after knowing the tips on how to become an event manager. Read further for information:
Scope, salary, and career aspects of an Event Manager:
• The demands for event managers are increasing day by day. Almost every day the events related to sports, cultural or corporate goes on. This indicates that the career in this field will never be nil. This field has widespread opportunities.
• After completing the course of event management candidates can go on to take a job in event organizing companies. It is very important to gain some experience before starting your own. A good experience will also result in good connections in the industry.
• After gaining experience one can go to start their own venture. Salaries differ for various courses. A diploma or certificate graduate can earn around 15k- 20k rupees per month. On the other hand, an MBA candidate will earn higher than the diploma one, the reason being a higher degree course.
Job posts of event management:
• Celebrity manager
• HR manager
• Logistics manager
Job posts of an event manager. The path to how to become an event manager
• Event coordinator
• Planner of events
• Coordinator of events
• Marketing executive
• Advertising executive
• Specialties in brand and image
• Resource purchase manager
Pros to be an event manager
The path to how to become an event manager doesn’t ends here. Here are some of the pros of being an event manager.
• Satisfaction if following your passion
• Creating and coming up with creative new ideas.
• Enhancement of Creativity
• Client will increase with experience
• Completion of the project will give you immense pleasure
• Can get a chance to meet celebrities, cine stars, sportspersons, corporate giants, etc.
• Can make new connections in the industry
Cons to be an event manager
The path to how to become an event manager doesn’t ends here. Here are some of the cons of being an event manager.
• Long working hours
• Stress of completing the project on time
• Meeting client expectations is a thing.
• Handling of multiple events at a single time.
Organizations that hire event managers are as follows:
• Car dealerships
• Banking groups
• Investment groups
• Country clubs
• Convention centers
• Visitors bureaus
• Private schools
• Non-profit organizations
• PR firms
• Tourist organizations
• Shopping mall
• Celebrity functions
• Trade associations
Some of the topmost companies that hire event managers are as follows:
• DNA networks private limited
• Cox and Kings
• Sita conferences
• 360 degrees
• Tafcon groups
• TCI consultancy services
Skills one should possess to be an event manager are:
• Budget management
• Creativity (thinking outside the box)
• Problem solving
• Risk management abilities
• IT skills
• Management skills
• Good public relations skill
Duties or responsibilities of an event manager are:
• Plan Tasks for himself
• Plan Tasks for the whole team
• See the overall budget
• To look after the details related to the event
• To see if something doesn’t go wrong in the event
• Make sure to make a memorable moment for the client
• Jump up to client expectations
• To analyze problems at each and every point
• If any problem detected try to solve it as soon as possible
• Requirements of the clients
• Design the layout of the stage
• Design the whole event according to the theme allocated
Types of functions organized by event managers:
• Grand openings
• Seminars (corporate)
• Gathering (religious)
• Fashion shows
• Promotional campaigns
• Social gatherings
• Trade shows
• Musical concerts
• Political unions
• New product launch
Event management is an awesome course which enhance the abilities to handle work pressure.
The importance of 5 C’s of event management: know the key to become successful
One of the ways on how become an successful event manager is by learning the 5 C’s involved in the process:
First and foremost it is important to have a concept for an event. The best way to deal with it is by thinking about the greatest concerts or events held and take inspiration from the same.
Find answers to these questions:
- Why are the planning this event?
- The target audience of the event?
The moment you figure out the above two. You will get to know who is going to benefit the best from the event. Then plan a concept for the event with the team members.
Proper planning of the event with coordination comes second after the concept is finalized.
- Selecting themes for the event
- Decorations, essentials required
- Additional needs such as hiring an audio/visual equipment
- Reserving dates
- Venues in advance
- Proper check of Flexibility of the dates
- Coordinating with the team to keep a check on the budgets.
- No one should exceed the budget.
This should not be neglected at any cost as this part play a very significant role.
- Planning for all the possible changes required.
- Check if the budget is running low
- Prepare for the worst case scenarios
- Incase of any improper working look for alternatives.
- Look for backup plan
- Find alternatives in case of any disruptions
This is the day when the event is going to take place.
- Rehearsing the event one or two hours before the event.
- Check if speakers are ready one after other.
- Food is prepared or not
- Food will be prepared in allotted time
- This is more like a time management of the event
Closeout includes these terms and conditions once the event is over:
- Payments of each and every member involved is done or not.
- Ask for vendors/performers/team/caterers if they enjoyed the event or not.
- Give feedbacks forms to the team.
- Ask them how you have performed as an event manager.
Brands and world famous event planning companies that will inspire you are:
- Bassett events, Inc.
Location: Toronto, Canada
They plan: social event, weddings, charitables
Location: New York City and Los Angeles
They plan: brand experiences
- Colin Cowie
Location: New York city and Los Angeles
They plan: weddings and corporate events.
- David Tutera
Location: Los Angeles
They plan: décor, planning, production
- A perfect event
They plan: event management, styling, stationary, favors
- Rafanelli events
Location: Boston, New York city
They plan: Weddings, private events
- Oren co
Location: New York city
They plan: Weddings, private events
Location: London, New York city
They plan: brand forward experiences
- Royal DSM
They plan: product launches, exhibitions, corporate meetings
- Lincoln financial group
- Parkinson foundation of the national capital area
- Visit Orlando
- MGM resorts
- Visit dallas
- Black rock
Some of the Event management companies of India are:
- 70 EMG
- Encompass events
- Procam running
- Showtime group
- WOW events
Event manager salaries in India
The average salary of an event is : Rs. 449,414
This increases as per skills and the experience in the event management industry.
The graduates also opt for:
- Social media specialist
- Operation management
- Project handling