The keys stepwise to unlock the path to how to become a teacher
Most of us have been to school and wonder what?
Each one of us had a teacher we aspire or admired throughout our lives. They taught us basic principles, values, integrity or the one who taught us to read, write and learn (even if we are not interested). Perhaps the admiring teacher would have inspired you to become one of them. Even wondered how to become a teacher and inspire in the very same way.
Steps to become a teacher are as follows:
- Get a bachleor’s degree
- Get training in teaching.
- Take certifications
It is important to know what type of teacher you want to become. For example:
- Early childhood – 0-8 years
- Pre school/ kindergarden – 3-5 years
- Elementary- 4-11 years
- Middle school – 11-14 years
- High school – 14-18 years
- Special education – for all ages
A teacher passionately teaching students and interacting with them.
- The first three stages of teacher require the skills to handle younger children. The skill that is even more important is the curriculum is broader, hence knowledge of multiple subjects.
- Middle school and high school students specialize in particular subjects such as biology, history, mathematics etc. as subjects.
- Special type of education requires teachers who can teach and instruct children for disabilities and developmental disorders.
How to become a teacher in India
- Pre- primary school teacher-Junior teacher (0-3 Years)
Nursery teacher’s training- 1 year
Diploma in early childhood education- 2 year after 12th
Institutes offering NTT and D.E.C.Ed courses are:
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Advanced Education
- INDOSS Polytechnic for Women
- Mahatma Gandhi College of Education
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy Institute of Vocational Studies
- State Council of Educational Research and Training
- University of Mumbai (Mumbai)
- Bombay Teachers’ Training College (Mumbai)
- Primary school teacher- (6-12 Years)
Elementary Teacher Education (ETE) for 2 years
Bachelor’s in Elementary Education (B.El.Ed) for 4 years or
Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed) for 2 years.
Institutes offering ETE, D.El.Ed and B.El.Ed courses are:
- District Institute of Education and Training (Meghalaya)
- District Institute of Education Training (Bhopal)
- Ramakrishna Teacher Training Institute (New Delhi)
- Lady Shri Ram College (Delhi)
- Gargi College (Delhi)
- Bansidhar Mahavidyalaya (Uttar Pradesh)
- Central Institute of Education (New Delhi)
- Aditi Mahavidyalaya (New Delhi)
- District Institute of Education and Training (Tura)
- Primary Teachers Education College (Bhojpur) etc.
- Secondary school teacher (6th to 10th )
Bachelor’s in Education (B.Ed) for 2 years
Institutes offering B.Ed courses are:
- University of Delhi (Delhi)
- Banaras Hindu University (Varanasi)
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (Delhi)
- Department of Education (Banasthali University), Jaipur
- Senior secondary school teacher (11th and 12th )
Post-Graduation degree in a teaching subject
Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree
Institutes offering B.Ed and post- graduation courses are:
- Central Teacher Eligibility Test
- STET (State Teacher Eligibility Test)
- Special educator
Bachelor’s in Education (B.Ed.), specializing in Special Education
Institutes offering B.Ed specializing in Special Education courses are:
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (Delhi)
- Indian Institute Of Health Education and Research (Bihar)
- Jamia Millia Islamia (New Delhi)
- Kurukshetra University (Kurukshetra)
- Banaras Hindu University (Uttar Pradesh)
National Eligibility Test (NET) exam is held all India for the eligibility of Indian nationals for the post of
- Assistant professorship
- Junior research fellowship
The exam is held twice a year for the post of NET.
How much time it requires to become a teacher?
The time required to become a teacher varies different from every teacher. The education of the candidate determines the probability to become a teacher. The specific time required to become a teacher is a duration of 4-5 years of experience in the market.
Eligibility required to become a teacher
To become a teacher these are the following parameters required:
It is very important to have a Bachleor’s degree in education (B.Ed).
One can also go for Mater’s degree in education (M.Ed). The master degree can increase the employ rate of becoming a teacher.
Apart from all these opportunities, one can also go for Basic Training Certificate (BTC) or Diploma in education (D.Ed).
A candidate must have 55% marks in B.Ed degree. This requirement may differ from various schools.
Opportunities in the field of teaching
- Private schools
- Government schools
- Public schools
- Education administration
- School counseling
- School social work
- Vice principal
- Campus director
- Corporate trainer
- Curriculum design
- Curriculum representative/sales
- Education policy and research
- Homeschool consultant
- Instructional designer
- Life coach
- Museum education/tour trainer
- Preschool director
- Recreation director
- Residence life director
- School/child psychologist
- Standardized test developer
- Textbook author
How to become a government teacher
In order to become a government teacher, it is crucial to known the following details:
- To teach IE (From standard 1 to 5 (PRT))
- TGT Standard (From standard 6 to 10)
- PGT(For 11th and 12th )
The students can also chose the following courses:
- Bachelor (B.Ed) for PGT
- Mater (M.Ed) for TGT
- BTC/NTT/B.EI.Ed. For PRT
- M.P.Ed for PGT etc.
The candidates should also pass Central Teacher Eligibility Test/ State Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET/TET).
The courses one can go for the journey to become a teacher are:
- Bachelor of education
- Pre-school Teacher Education Program
- Elementary Teacher Education Program
- Diploma in Education
- Bachelor of Education
- Master of Education Program
- Physical education program
- Nursery teacher education program
- Diploma in education
- Distance learning system
The top institutes according to states offering teacher training courses are as follows:
St. Xavier’s college of education
Dr. S.P. Singh College of teacher education
Anugrah memorial B.Ed College, Gaya
Rahmani B.E.d college, munger
Islamia teacher training college, phulbari, patna
Patna training college patna- Patna University
Women’s Training College Patna- Patna University
Amaltas College of education, Aryabhatta Knowledge University
National institute of Teacher education, Delhi
Great Mission teacher training institute, Delhi
Indoss, Teacher Training institute, Delhi
Teachers training Delhi, Asian college of teachers, delhi
Jamia Milia Teacher Training institute delhi
Central institute of education/department of education
Calrox teacher’s university, Ahmedabad
Indian institute of teacher education, gandhinagar
B.D. Shah college of teacher education (C.T.E.,MHRD), Modasa, Aravalli, Gujarat since 1968
- Himachal Pradesh
Government college of teacher education, dharamsala
University college of teacher education vaikom
T.D. Teacher Training Institute, Mattancherry, Kochi-2
St. Thomas college of teacher education, Pala
Government college of teacher education, Kozhillode
- Madhya Pradesh
Mahatma Gandhi chitrakoot gramoday university
National institute of technical teachers training and research located in Bhopal.
College of teachers education, aizawl
Training centre for teachers of the Deaf, Bhubaneshwar
Regional institute of education, Bhubaneswar
Mahe co-operative college of teacher education (MCCTE)
Desh Bhagat School of education Desh Bhagat University, Mandi Gobindgarh
Government College of education, chandigarh
Sri sai group of institutes (Pathankot, Amritsar, palampur)
Government college of education, chandigarh
Motiram baburam government post graduate college
Elizabeth education college, perambalur
Christian education college, perambalur
G.E.T B.Ed College, Guddiyattam
J.R.S College of education, perambalur
ERK College of Education, Erumiyampatti
Bishop agniswamy college of education
Aasee college of education
Amrita college of education
Anai angel teacher training institute for women (Roever’s institute), perambalur
KAPI Women’s college of education nagamalai, Madurai-19
V.O.C. College of education, Thoothukudi
KAPI college of education nagamalai, Madurai-19
- West Bengal
Madhyamik teacher’s sangh
Vidyasagar teacher’s training college associations
Ramakrishna mission siksha mandir
Skills required to become a teacher
- Good communication skill would play a vital role in governing the position for a teacher.
- Leadership so as to take leads whenever required.
- Empathizing capabilities with students so as to interact and understand students.
- Ability to deal with students and team work.
- Have confidence
- Giving feedback to students time to time.
- Work efficiently so as to help students.
- Able to deal with conflicts.
How to become a certified teacher online in India
The traditional method of teaching has seen a decline during the lockdown period. The covid-19 impact on various sector has bought a lot of change. The very same goes for the teaching field also. Despite the huge loss in jobs, one thing that remain constant is teachers. Teachers play a crucial role in building lifes of students.
For the post of teacher online, you need to go through websites and see their requirements.
Companies hiring teachers online in foreign
Here is the list of companies that hire online teaching capabilities.
- American Inter Continental university
American Inter Continental University offers flexible programs.
They are Hiring:
- Faculty members
- General business
- Computer forensics
- K12- online public school programme
K12’s online programs offers opportunities to college kids to 12th grade. They are aimed at helping-
- Military families
- Homeschool children
- Advanced learners
- Career-minded students
- Advanced learners
- Career- minded students
- Traveling performers
- Grand canyon university- GCU
Grand canyon university is a private interdenominational Christian institution that provides-
- Campus- based
- Online undergraduate and
- Graduate degree programs
They are currently hiring for the post of-
- Advanced taxation
- Managerial accounting
- Global business
Pearson offers content and technology platforms. They are known for hiring online teaching jobs.
They are currently hiring for the post of-
- Accounting tutor
- Finance tutor
- Economics tutor
How to become teacher at BYJU’S
To become teacher at BYJU’S, you need to fill the form at byjus.com. The management team will contact you and take you through the process.
How to become a reputed teacher at Kendriya Vidyalaya (Government job)
Eligibility criteria for KVS
- POST GRADUATE TEACHER- 40 years
- TRAINED GRADUATE TEACHER- 35 years
- PRIMARY TEACHER- 30 years
Educational qualification required for Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan examination:
PGT- HINDI, ENGLISH, PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY, MATHS, BIOLOGY, HISTORY, GEOGRAPHY, ECONOMICS AND COMMERCE
- Two years’ integrated post graduate M.S.c course of education of NCERT in the same subject.
- Master’s degree from a recognized university with least 50% marks in aggregate.
- B.E.d or equivalent degree from a recognized university.
- Proficiency in languages such as Hindi or English.
Job prospect of a teacher
The job prospect of a teacher in India is pretty much a good profile. Work timing are fixed usually from 8 AM to 3 PM. Pay package:
Teacher earn good if they have the skill to handle students. The pay package of a teacher depends on the job profile and the subjects he/she has mastered in. upon experience they can promoted to higher position. The pay packages for a government school starts from 20k while for private institutions its around 15k.
For college a teacher or say professor can earn about 40k.
Demand and supply:
Since teaching is a field that doesn’t go off track for anyone. It is career which decides the future of students. So, this concludes that a job in teaching would never be less or extinct.
For more such career related articles, click here